Regulation on Application for Leave
To enforce the daily management of international students’ application for leave, this regulation is made, based on the following regulations by Ministry of Education, China Scholarship Council and University of Science and Technology of China: “Administrative Rules on Students in Institutions of Higher Education”, “Measures of Annual Review of Chinese Government Scholarship Status”, “USTC Administrative Rules on Undergraduate Students” and “USTC Disciplinary Implementation Rules”.
1. During the period of studying in USTC, students shall attend all kinds of activities required by the teaching plans, focus on research and study, and try their best to avoid absence and asking for leave.
2. If the student cannot attend the activities required by the teaching plans, he or she shall ask for leave in advance: to fill the “Application Form for Leave”, ask for approval from his or her supervisor and department, then submit it to International Students Affairs Office (ISA office) for final approval. The application only takes effect after completing all the procedures.
3. The reason for application for leave has to be true. Those who applied for leave with false excuses will be given disciplinary punishment.
4. For international students, there are three kinds of leave: business leave, sick leave and personal affair leave.
Business leave: students apply for leave due to activities arranged by USTC or the department or the supervisor for the purpose of fieldwork, social practice, scientific research, academic communication and etc;
Sick leave: students apply for leave due to their own illness;
Personal affair leave: students apply for leave due to important event of students themselves or their relatives.
5. The duration for business leave shall not be more than 1/3 of the teaching weeks that semester.If there is special occasion, it has to be explained with details and will take effect after getting final approval;
The duration for sick leave shall not be more than 1/3 of the teaching weeks that semester; otherwise the student shall apply for suspension;
The duration for personal affair leave shall not be more than 2 weeks. If there is special occasion, it has to be explained with details and will take effect after getting final approval.
6. No matter which kind of leave the student has taken, it shall not influence the study schedule and will not be considered as the appropriate reason for delay of graduation. During the period of leave, the student shall still keep in contact with his or her supervisor. Student who does not reply his or her supervisor’s e-mail over 2 weeks, the monthly stipend will be suspended until the student reports back at ISA office.
7. If during the class the student need ask for leave due to illness or personal issue, he or she shall apply to the teacher, and the teacher will decide whether to approve or not according to the circumstance. The student should submit “Application Form for Leave” to ISA office afterwards.
8. If during the period of participating school activities outside of campus, it is the leading teacher or staff who will decide whether to approve or not the student’s application for leave.
9. The application for leave during examination period will not be accepted ordinarily. For special occasion, students must submit application in advance with detailed explanation and re-take the course in next semester. Student who does not attend the examination without approval will be considered as Absent from Examination.
10. During school vacations and off-days like Winter Vacation, Summer Vacation and other holidays, if student needs to leave USTC, he or she has to inform ISA office the following information: reason for leave, place to visit, contact person and ways of transportation, as well as the date he or she will departure and return. It is not allowed to leave school earlier than the date when school vacations and off-days start, nor return later than the date when school vacations and off-days end. For special occasion, the student shall submit application in advance, and the monthly stipend will be suspended until the student reports back at ISA office.
11. Students have to attend the activities required by the teaching plans as usual if the students’ national festival or holidays fall in regular school days.
12. To apply for sick leave, students must submit medical report from hospital.
13. It is unacceptable to submit application for leave after the event unless it is emergency situation. For special occasion, if the student is unable to submit the application in advance, he or she shall at least send the application to ISA office through email to explain the reason and complete all the required procedures with supporting documents after returning to USTC.
14. After returning to USTC from leave, the student has to report back at ISA office. For special occasion, if the student is unable to do so or needs extension of leave, he or she shall apply for extension of leave with detailed reason before the end of leave.
15. Student who fails to attend the activities required by the teaching plans without submitting application for leave, or getting approval for leave, or reporting back from leave, or application for extension of leave, he or she will be given disciplinary punishment according to the absent days:
a) Absent for 1-9 days will be warned in written form;
b) Absent for 10 days or above will receive the punishment of disciplinary probation or expulsion from school.
c) The official national holidays are not included in the above calculation for absent days.
Student who has already received warning in written form, if he or she violates this regulation again, will receive the punishment of disciplinary probation; student who has already received the punishment of disciplinary probation, if he or she violates this regulation again, will receive the punishment of expulsion from school.
Student who has received the punishment of disciplinary probation, his or her scholarship will be suspended for one year; student who has received the punishment of expulsion from school, his or her scholarship will be terminated.
16. USTC is not legally responsible for the student’s behavior during his or her absence from USTC.
17. This regulation applies to all the international students registered in USTC.
18. This regulation takes effect on the day it is issued, and shall be interpreted by ISA office.